Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Saint...to Sinner

We did it! We finished Las Vegas Ragnar. It was FREEZING! We started at 8:00am Friday morning up at Mt Charleston ski resort. It was 28 degrees, snowing, and windy. It continued to be freezing and windy the entire time! It's never cold in Vegas! The weekend before the weather was perfect. 85 degrees and sunny. Just our luck. Other then that it was great! Not having to run over mountains was fantastic!
Trent "Stretching" :)
This Ragnar was very different from Utah. Here in Utah Ragnar is known to all. Everyone knows what it is and has either ran it or knows someone that has. In Vegas we were stopped several times asking what was going on and what we were doing. In Utah at the finish line everyone is cheering and waiting for you at the end. Vegas was dark, no lights shining on the finish line or anything. No one there to cheer for you. Nothing. Utah has over 1,000 teams. We did not see a team number over 550.
Some things that are the same that I think will be the same with any Ragnar you run. There is someone always on the side of an exchange after their first run puking their guts out. Some very....interesting, to say the least, costumes and outfits. And at the end of the race everyone is walking around looking like they have sticks up their butts.
I would be very interested to go and do another one in another state. I wonder if it's just us Utahans that are crazy enough to think that running over mountains and having no sleep for over 24 hrs is fun.
That was the 5th Ragnar I have ran. Trent says that he is retired and doesn't want to do any more. He would rather go to the gym and lift weights then run. I'm hoping I will run a couple more times. I think I will just be a filler if anyone needs a runner or wants to put a team together.
We finished around 6:00pm Saturday night and we all survived!

2 comments:

  1. I was in Vegas that weekend too! Not running, just visiting :) But we froze! I had no idea vegas could be so cold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Ash! That is something I'd like to try one day, however, the thought of puking on the side of the road sounds less than enticing!

    ReplyDelete